This article is the first in a series of three about our substrates containing coir. With this article we focus on the properties coir brings to a substrate. The following articles will go into our unique coir production process and will tell you more about how we ensure the safety of our growing media and how our processes aid the environment.
What exactly is coir?
Coir comes from coconuts. There are different types of coir that can be produced from the coconut husks. About 75% of a coconut husk exists of a fibrous material, while the remaining 25% is a lot finer. Both types of material can be used in substrates.
Kekkilä-BVB imports its different types of coir from India and Sri Lanka, where most of the world’s coir production takes place. Although coconuts are grown in many other countries as well, the husks are often left unused.
Why is coir used in substrates?
Coir adds multiple beneficial properties to substrate. In the first place it influences the hydro dynamics of a mixture. Coir absorbs water very quickly. In addition, it increases the water retention of the growing medium, while simultaneously optimising the distribution of water.
Secondly, the addition of coir can increase the air content within the mixture. This might sound odd because coir has a rather fine structure, but it does so thanks to its stability and the structure of the particles.
For our BVB Substrates products we calculate the optimal amount of coir for each case based on things like substrate composition, water quality at the growing site and crop specifics.
Make sure to also read our next articles about coir to learn more about the production processes. We will also share insights in the ways our state-of-the-art production facilities ensure you of the safest, high-quality substrates.